Shoujo Kakumei Utena
(Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Episode 2: Tagatameni Bara wa Hohoemu
(For Whom the Rose Smiles)
© 1997 B-Papas / Chiho Saito / TV Tokyo / Shonenn Iinkai
© 1998 Software Sculptors
Color / Stereo / 25 minutes / Japanese Language / English Subtitles
Utena has it all. Beauty. Confidence.
She is the idol of her classmates at the exclusive Ohtori Academy. And yet, she is driven by a faded childhood memory. A memory of a prince on a white horse who comforted her when she was grieving over her parents' death, and who presented her a strange sigent ring emblazoned with a rose crest. This memory drives her to do the impossible: To become a prince herself who can protect a princess in need.
Utena's dream is about to become reality. The Ohtori Academy is ruled by the elite of the student council, all of whom bear rings similar to Utena's. They meet secretly, fighting duels to possess a power embodied in a mysterious girl. Without realizing it, Utena is soon caught up in a mysterious struggle.
Created by the director of the hit TV series, Sailor Moon, Revolutionary Girl Utena deftly combines humor, romance, and mystery into an irresistable saga.
- Director: Ikuhara Kunihiko
- Story and Original Character Design: Saito Chiho
- Series Structure: Enoto Yoji
- Character Design: Hasegawa Shinya
- Produced by: TV Tokyo / Yomiuri Advertising
- English Version Executive Producer: John O'Donnell
- English Version Producer: Stephanie Shalofsky
- Translator: Neil Nadelman